I can't breathe

We took our baby girl in for a routine ear tube surgery and while she was under they were going to do a fourth ABR (Auditory Brain Response) hearing test since she has always had slight hearing loss since birth.

On our way to the hospital--a happy girl.
Fish tank in the waiting room!

One of my co-workers, Angie, and her sweet daughter stopped by to see Ainsley since they were at the hospital for a check-up.  The brought Ainsley a bear and balloon--both were a hit for Ainsley!


Our day.....8-10 am  Arrive at hospital, do all of the pre-surgery paperwork, consultations, etc.  10 am-12 noon  Ainsley was a part from us in surgery, hearing test and then in recovery.  
At 11 am the doctor met with Ryan and I and asked how we thought Ainsley hears….we give several examples of how when Ainsley responds to sound.  
He stopped us after about a minute and said, the tests today show a profound hearing loss, that she can’t hear most things.  
Dr. Smith keeps talking about a genetic condition, cochlear implant evaluations, CT scan, etc---I try not to keep it together, quickly grab a piece of paper and begin writing what he is saying.
He said that he wanted to do some blood work to see if Ainsley does have the genetic condition that he suspects, Pendred Syndrome.  He steps away to the phone to call the nurse to get the blood work from Ainsley and Ryan says to me, "are you ok", and I said, "I can't breathe".  I literally couldn't process what he was telling me.
The doctor said that he wanted to get blood from Ryan and I today as well to do the genetic testing, so we sign paperwork and around 12 noon are in a room getting blood drawn when they bring Ainsley to us.  We loved on her and tried to soak in the news.
We asked to talk with the audiologist who did the test in the operating room, so they paged her and we met with her--Sue.  She was wonderful in explaining how she tested the machines 4 times to make sure the results were accurate.  She said they were shocked too at the results and she talked with our audiologist and they said that despite the news we were receiving today, they said that Ainsley couldn't have better parents to see her through this.  That is when I first teared up for the day.  I don't think I've ever received a better compliment.  
I had to include this picture, because Ryan and I blissfully unaware at 10:10 am when to grab a diet coke in the cafe at the  hospital since we thought all was well.  They gave us a pager if they needed us.  Little did we know!
This was us after we gave blood and when Ainsley could begin eating.  One of Ryan's friends who he plays ball with over lunch works in the surgery unit, so he dropped by and offered to take our picture.  He didn't know the full extent of the news we received, so we said sure and smiled!
I have this chalkboard in my kitchen that my sister gave me.  When we have visitors, I normally write their name on it, but on Monday of this week I changed it to this verse--very fitting for today.
Little miss is doing well tonight--she ate well, had a nice warm bath and is sleeping now.
Next steps--get the CT done and a repeat hearing test asap--I hope they call this week to get her in!  Here is more info on the syndrome.  We are taking great strength from the sentence that says kids can rebound from this hearing loss, even though the doctor said it was not likely--our God can do great things, so that will be our prayer!

Pendred syndrome is a genetic disorder that causes early hearing loss in children. It also can affect the thyroid gland and sometimes may affect a person’s balance. The syndrome is named after Vaughan Pendred, the physician who first described individuals with the disorder.
Children who are born with Pendred syndrome may begin to lose their hearing at birth or by the time they are three years old. The hearing loss is progressive, which means that a child will have less hearing over time. Some individuals may become totally deaf.
The loss of hearing often happens suddenly and in stages. Sometimes, after a sudden decrease in hearing, a person’s hearing will nearly return to its previous level. Almost all people with Pendred syndrome have bilateral hearing loss, or hearing loss in both ears. The hearing loss often is greater in one ear than in the other.
Source:  http://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/hearing/pages/pendred.aspx

Comments

kfinger said…
Stay strong...sending up prayers for you, Ryan, and Ainsley. Kristi
Cheri Smith said…
Michelle, Ryan & Ainsley,
Your family is in my heart of hearts thoughts. Your little nugget has been through so much in just a year, but she always comes out on the bright side still with a big full of life smile. I know that you are both so strong and will do anything to the ends of this earth to help her. You are wonderful parents and know that you have so much support and prayers coming your way!

Keep your chins up! You are doing an amazing job!

Thinking of you,
Cheri
Unknown said…
Lisa and I are rooting for you and Ainsley. Let us know how we can support you; given the plight you've been in with your daughter, I stand in complete awe and reverence at your willingness to reach out to us as we struggle with Leslie. Ainsley has strong ringside managers in her corner!
Anonymous said…
I hope you remember us from Maple Ave. church but if not we want you to know we will be praying for your little girl. Hearing loss is not good but you are great parents and it will all work out. Ken and Doris Derry
Anonymous said…
Keeping you and your sweet and adorable little girl in my thoughts and prayers. I agree that Ainsley is so fortunate to have you two as parents. Anne

Popular Posts