Our Iowa

This week there has been a lot of reaction to an essay a UI faculty member (Bloom) wrote about the state of Iowa in The Atlantic magazine. I read his article and thought he completely missed the mark and spirit of who Iowans are.  Our University of Iowa President Sally Mason responded to his article in an open letter to The Atlantic magazine and I’ve included some of her quotes below with pictures of my little Iowan!
"...the Iowa I see is one of strong, hard-working and creative people. In this cynical world that can harden even the greatest optimist, the citizens of Iowa continue to believe." -President Mason.


“Iowans are pragmatic and balanced, and they live within their means. This lifestyle, while not glitzy, is humble and true and can weather the most difficult of times.” -President Mason.

"One’s reputation and word are understood to be his or her most valued attributes. As a result, people cultivate a sense of fairness, cooperation, and humility. These values are exactly what you find in the hundreds of small towns in Iowa, which are the moral fabric of our state. " -President Mason.

I am proud to call my Iowa my home and glad my Iowa baby will be raised in a wonderful, hardworking, caring community.

Comments

Unknown said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Popular Posts