Who knew...

So today I woke up with a sore throat, running nose, etc...this cold that keeps coming and going. I thought I should get checked at the doctor since Ryan had strep a couple of weeks ago.

I went to the doctor at 11 am--Ryan came home to watch Ainsley. Since I just thought I'd be gone an hour at most. Who knew I would be there for 4 hours! I mentioned to my doctor during the exam I had some tightness in my chest the past couple of days. It comes and goes, I just thought it went along with the cold. She said we should be safe and do a chest x-ray to rule out one of the blood clots I have traveling to my lungs (this was one of my post-preg complications which I'll write about later).

30 minutes later...we found out the x-ray showed no blood clots! GREAT news! My stomach was growling, since it was lunch time. I had promised Ryan I'd bring him lunch when I was done at the doctor, and I was around 12 noon.

The doctor then explains she recommended we do a CT scan to get a better look at my lungs to rule out blood clots. I agreed it would give us all peace of mind (including myself)--so off I went for another test.

I had a CT about a month ago with my last hospitalization and I knew that I couldn't eat or drink before the test....more stomach growling :). I ALWAYS have snacks in my purse. I took this picture as I was waiting for my tests--good healthy snacks. I was a good patient and didn't eat them :).


My CT called for contrast--so I needed an IV. Last time they put it in my arm and it hurt, so I asked the nurse to put it in my hand. She said normally we put them in the arm, since the hand is normally painful. I've had so many IVs this past month, I thought no big deal--my hand normally doesn't hurt that bad. WELL, it hurt this time. I tried not to let her know how bad it hurt, but my face said it all. I told her she was right and it did hurt...she said well the 20 gauge normally hurts. I didn't even think that they would need to use a larger needle for this procedure since they were pumping in a lot of dye for the contrast. Next time I will listen to the nice nurses!

Here is my painful IV all done.


The CT scan only took 10 minutes once I was in the room and they had a round shaped scanner, not a tube--thank goodness.

After the CT scan I went back down to the doctors office and 30 minutes later they told me the good news--NO blood clots in my lungs! YEA! I was so excited! They told me I should continue on my blood thinners to prevent my clots from traveling--but apparently they are doing their job already because they didn't travel!

A little after 3 pm, I left the hospital and went by KFC to pick up lunch. And I went by McDonalds for a fizzy diet coke--so good! As I was driving home I said a prayer of thankgiving for having great doctors that are very cautious in making sure I am healthy and that these clots don't travel and that I have health insurance. I am very greatful and say many prayers for those who don't have insurance and have to decide whether to seek medical care or not based on their finances.




Here are some pictures of little Miss Ainsley--we went to Target the other night and she was amazing--so peaceful sleeping!


Here she is with a bow I made her--it is a little large, but she looks cute!


And here is A sleeping with her dad. She loves to fall asleep on his chest, but he doesn't like to fall asleep too because he is afraid he will drop her. He did dose off this night, but I was right there in the kitchen doing dishes, so I kept my eye on these two sleeping cuties.

Comments

Popular Posts