I've Learned


I returned late last night from Illinois where I was caring for my dad who was hospitalized with kidney failure last Wednesday--he was finally released today and is awaiting the results from his kidney biopsy and pending treatment. We are all hoping and praying for little to no kidney damage. It was an exhausting experience for my dad (of course) and for me as I was advocating for his care..as he slept one afternoon in the hospital, I wrote down these things that I have learned from this experience....

*I learned God knows how to brighten any dark day. The photo above is of my dad and the local weather woman! We met a nice family in the hospital who was friends with this local weather woman (Judy)--when they found out my dad and I were fans, she stopped by dad's room to wish him well and wrote a note of good wishes for him. This was a rough day for dad as he was battling though multiple blood tests and awaiting his biopsy. The family we met was so kind and gracious and Judy was such a good sport--dad perked up and smiled for the camera when she came in!

*I learned that God is just a call away--during several rough times while dad was in the hospital--I called on God to bring the nurses by for help, bring sleep to dad's tired body, etc. He always answered the call!

*I learned we are not alone in the health care struggle. As we were waiting on results to find out what caused dad's kidney failure--we met several other people, families that were suffering and struggling with health. We got to experience first hand a family that was struggling and on Medicaid and fighting with the health care system for care. It was extremely hard to watch this family struggle as they fought for care for their dad.

*I learned hospitals are exhausting!

*I learned there are many ups and downs in an illness

*I learned to push for care with the medical staff when needed and kindness goes along way with the staff!



Comments

Angie said…
Great post Shelby!!! Thanks so much for being there for Dad!! I talked to him twice yesterday and he is So happy to be out if the hospital!!
Anonymous said…
I posted a couple of comments on A's blog this am check it out. Let's not forget to call her from Monical's. If R. wants to crash for a while Sunday he may do so here we won't put him to work, plus he can sleep in the car enroute. Bob.

Popular Posts