Out of breath, but beginning-day 1

I am so proud of my sister--she is running a 5K today with a group of other women! This is the shirt they are wearing today and it explains why they run. I love how all of them are so different and special to each person. My sister's reason is "for my mom".
Today I got up early and did day one of couch to 5K (its a 9 week running program that preps you for a 5K). This was meaningful for many reasons--both of our parents had heart attacks at a relatively young age--early 60s. I remember being in the hospital in WY in 2007 when my dad was in the ICU following his heart surgery and my sister and I promised ourselves that we would make health changes so we wouldn't have to endure what my dad did. When mom passed away (today is 18 months to the day of her passing)--my sister and I vowed the same.

My sister and I are meeting up in St. Louis in exactly two months to see mom's grave for the first time since her funeral and I want her to be proud. Proud that we are taking steps to be healthy and present for many, many years for our family--God willing!

So today I ran. I was out of breath, my legs didn't move as fast as I once remembered--but I did it. I decided to run... "for my family". I want to be around for many, many years for my hubby and baby girl.

Comments

Angie said…
You go girl!! I am SO proud of you! You will rock it! We can run together when we get together at Thanksgiving.
Sabrina said…
You will do great Michelle. Your sister has inspired me and I'm sure she'll do the same for you!!

Popular Posts