Mary Kay & Gems

Last night I was photographed for a Mary Kay 50 women of distinction photo group. My friend Kate and I got to do before and after photos and got our make-up done! I learned some new make-up tips, bought the skin care line (love it!) and here is my after picture--not too dramatic :).

Before--no make-up!


After--my shirt changed colors because I had changed into my jammies and then remembered to take a picture :)!


I started this blog last year around this time and shared my new years resolution--to be healthier for 2009. Well today is December 1st, and I'm still drinking tons of Diet Coke, not working out regularly, and ate far too many sweets today! So, I've decided over the next month I will regularly post 2 "gems" that I have learned that day about (1) a health "gem" and (2) a God "gem" to help me headed down a healthier path before 2010 rolls around! Sometimes I try to do too much and read all of these health books and by new workout dvds and then I do nothing....so over the next month I'm going to try to get back on the healthy track--so feel free to check in and see my progress! Here are the first two gems:

GOD GEM: From "Crazy Love" by Francis Chan: About worry and stress--"Basically, these two behaviors communicate that it's okay to sin and not trust God because the stuff in my life is somehow exceptional. Both worry and stress reek of arrogance. They declare our tendency to forget that we've been forgiven and that our lives here are brief...". I read this as I was traveling on the bus today and had an aha moment--I tried to let worry and stress not rule my life today, only got stressed out a couple of times :).

HEALTH GEM: From "What to Eat" by Marion Nestle: About water, "Most people need to drink at least two quarts of water a day. But these quarts do not have to come from water itself; they can also come from food, juice, coffee, tea, soda (yeah!), and anything else with water in it. If you need more water, you feel thirsty (that is easy enough to remember!). The Institute of Medicine explains, 'the vast majority of healthy people adequately meet their daily hydration needs by letting thirst be their guide'". Lesson today--drink when we are thirsty--easy enough!

Some of the books that I have purchased, but not yet read :)--hopefully I can pull lots of daily "gems" from these :)!

Comments

Janna said…
WOW you have a lot of books that need to be read! Thanks for the God Gem today. I don't get stressed that much, but I'm a bad worrier and I always try to hand my worries to God. I look forward to reading more Gems tomorrow!

Popular Posts